Thursday 25 July 2013

Funemployment To A Degree


I graduated with a bachelor of commerce in 2011. It's called a BCom general majoring in finance. I tell you this, not because I want to gloat about my academic under-achievements, but to give you an idea of where I'm coming from.

A large majority of people are under the belief that education breeds success. This notion, though not far from the truth, does have its anomalies however. Some of the most successful people in the world never got a whiff of tertiary education. Granted, the people I speak of were too incredible, and passionate in their fields to be bogged down by the constraints of higher learning. Bill Gates and Richard Branson both dropped out of Harvard and high school, respectively. These are two highly successful and respected individuals, and various Forbes lists will re-iterate this.

Acquiring a degree shows cognitive ability and the ability to finish what you start. It shows a desire to gain technical or theoretical  knowledge in a field you are interested in, or not interested in. A degree also comes at a price; monetary and otherwise. Fresh out of high school, time is one of your greatest assets, as you have  so much of it left on this precious earth, God willing. Yet we are inclined to spend 3 to 7 in an educational institution. It almost sounds like a jail sentence. After which, you start at an entry level job in a company you only have the desire of owning. You might not even find a job in the field you studied in. During your studies, you might have changed your mind about what you want to do for the rest of your life. Before you know it, you're getting capped in front of your parents and it's all a very joyous occasion. The crippling reality is that you're not the only graduate in this world. Your matric friends that went straight to work after high school have a lot more of this valuable work experience that everyone wants. They might have even started their own companies. Maybe that degree, with your name on it, helps you sleep at night, but before NSFAS wakes you up demanding a loan repayment ask yourself this: Is this what I really want?


I completely understand if you studied what you loved, with a bursary even, and still enjoying it. You are one in a few and are very blessed. Most of us are not afforded that luxury. It's just that times change, and time is precious enough as it is. I feel as though we should be creating our own jobs instead of competing with others for the same ones. Even the satisfaction of creating your own title is greater than getting a promotion at Whatwhat & Sons. As far as I know, we are still under economic turmoil. This doesn't mean there are a lack of resources. You need to take charge of your situation and take advantage of the world's situation. Create something that was never there. Or you can just chill, it's up to you. Who knew twerk teams could be so lucrative? I have seriously considered starting a Home Wrecker's agency where I employ beautiful and charming people most likely to end marriages. Our clients will be those seeking easy divorce through adultery on their spouse's part. Payment will be a proportion of the consideration from the divorce settlement. Not sure it's legal though.

At the time of writing, I still want to pursue an honours degree in finance or travel overseas to teach foreign children English. I just don't know if I want another feather in my cap or an experience worth having.

4 comments:

  1. It is the dilemma of our twenties. Who knows what they want to do with the rest of their lives at 18? Only a few people. The more complex breed only yearn to discover outside the parameters of an office. The more you want them in, the more forcefully they push out!
    This is the age of aquarius, where, unlike our parents, we are no longer willing to break our back working to feed ourselves. We don't live to work, we work to live -- as in, work doesn't get to define who we are, we decide what work is by discovering our passion first.
    Join our club of searching and exploring; it's not easy but trust me it brings you fulfilment in the long run

    ReplyDelete
  2. Honest piece of writing! I like it.

    I went to a traditional uni and had to stop halfway through my studies due to financial constraints. I took on a job and finished my degree through UNISA while working.

    A lot of new grads have high expectations when they start working. Possibly because of the dream that's sold to us at school. Education is the best shot at success, but it's not the only shot.

    Work hard enough and people will show you the respect you deserve. I got my decent break before I had finished my degree, because people were impressed at the amount of work I was willing to put in and also because I realised that I had to be more than the girl without a degree. I found a way to make myself indispensable.

    So what I am saying here is simple: if you want something bad enough, you will put your name out there and you will learn other skills while "Waiting for your big break".

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was afforded the opportunity to study further after matric by my mom who never got that chance growing up. That was a good deed but what she never fails to tell me is exactly what you've explained, outside of the bubble that is tertiary education, very few people care that you haVe a degree or diploma in whatever field and that I need to quickly get aquainted with the reality that employment is a little short of a myth in this country. I see us (youth) starting to realise this more and more and it's a relief because I've watched a lot of elders around me sitting at home or trying to get employed with all the million fancy degrees they have and failing, it's unfortunate but the important thing is to quickly grasp the lesson in that. Anyway, cool article, thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for the feedback guys. It's very humbling. Hahaha I love how deep you all went.

    My motto is to do what makes me happy until it no longer makes me happy, so I can do something else that makes me happy. Long winded, I know. Once again, thank you so much.

    Live long and prosper.

    ReplyDelete